How Do You Express Yourself?
Submit your original poem to the 25th annual Express Yourself! Youth Poetry Competition. Finalists will be recognized at a ceremony during National Poetry Month in April and have their poems published in an anthology.
ABOUT THE COMPETITION
- 60 finalists will be invited to an awards ceremony on April 22, 2021 and have their work published by the Dallas Public Library in a bound anthology.
- One finalist will be selected to receive the Joe M. and Doris Russell Dealey Fund Award of Achievement and one winner will be selected for each of the following grade categories: 2-5, 6-8, 9-12.
- All qualified poems will be judged on originality and structure.
- All qualified poems will be judged separately in the following grade categories: 2-3, 4-5, 6-7, 8-9, and 10-12.
- All finalists will be notified by email by March 31, 2020.
RULES ........ Please read carefully.
- Poems must be the writer’s own work and may not be submitted without the poet’s knowledge and consent.
- All poets must be in grades 2-12 and live in the City of Dallas or attend a school within Dallas city limits.
- All entries must be received or postmarked (if mailed) by January 31, 2021. No entries will be returned.
- Entries must not exceed 20 lines.
- Only one entry per poet.
- Poems accepted in English and in Spanish.
- All entries become the property of The Friends of the Dallas Public Library & Dallas Public Library.
- For complete rules, visit www.dallaslibrary.org/poetry
Poems may also be dropped off at any Dallas Public Library location. Attach the completed entry form found at www.dallaslibrary.org/poetry
For more information, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
What Does it Mean to Express Yourself?
Paint, pencils, crayons and InDesign – use your favorite medium to design a book cover for the annual Express Yourself Youth Poetry Competition winners’ anthology.
Complete Rules for Entry
Artist Requirements: The Express Yourself Cover Art Contest is open to all artists in grade 2-12, who live in the City of Dallas or attend a school within Dallas city limits.
The Artwork Must Be Original: You must be the creator of the artwork that is submitted to the contest. Your art must be your own original concept and not a copy of anyone else's copyrighted material. If your image infringes upon another's copyright it will be disqualified.
- Any drawing or painting medium, including: pencil, watercolors, crayons, and acrylics can be used. Non-reflective sturdy paper such as watercolor paper or card stock is preferred. Artwork should be on vertical (portrait orientation). Maximum size 11in x17in
- Any Graphic design software, including Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, or open source product, can be used. Your images are best represented at 1200px on the longest side and at a resolution of 72dpi. The acceptable file formats are: jpg or pdf.
- Artwork must be the artists own work and may not be submitted without artist’s consent.
Multiple Submissions: Only one submission per artist.
Submission Deadline: Submissions accepted starting September 21, 2020. Artwork must be received or postmarked by January 31, 2021.
Art may also be submitted in person at any Dallas Public Library Location.
Submit by mail to:
J. Erik Jonsson Central Library,
1515 Young St., Dallas, TX 75201-5499
Submit online at: www.dallaslibrary.org/poetry
- All qualified art will be judged separately in the in the following grade categories: 2-5, 6-8, 9-12.
- All finalists will be notified by email by April 1, 2021.
- One overall winner will be selected to have their artwork appear on the cover of the 25th edition of the Express Yourself! Finalists’ Anthology.
- One winner per grade category will have their artwork appear on the back cover, for a total of three winners.
- Two finalists per grade category will have their artwork appear in the anthology, for a total of six honorable mentions.
- All finalists will be invited to an award ceremony on April 22, 2021.
All entries become the property of the Friends of Dallas Public Library and the Dallas Public Library. Dallas Public Library is granted permission to use the drawings at its discretion. For more information contact: email@example.com